Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Google+ YouTube RSS

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Social Security Benefits LawyerThere are two general types of Social Security Disability benefits – Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Disability Insurance Benefits allows individuals who have worked at least five out of the last ten years and have paid the required Social Security taxes to withdraw their money if they become disabled. According to Social Security regulations, a person is disabled if they are not able to perform any substantial gainful activity because of a proven medical condition which has lasted or is expected to last at least twelve consecutive months.

Supplemental Security Income is a type of federal supplement program and is meant for individuals who do not qualify for DIB benefits. In order to receive Supplemental Security Income payments, a person must meet the disability criteria as well as certain financial requirements.

Breaking News

2017 Social Security Fact Sheet can be found by CLICKING HERE.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

You must file an application for benefits by calling your local Social Security District Office or by calling 1-800-772-1213. Effective April 2017, you can file online at We recommend you make copies of any paperwork you submit to Social Security and that you ask for a printed receipt when you submit documents at their office.

How long does it take the Social Security Administration to make a decision on my claim?

If you are denied, you may file an appeal. You have sixty days to file a Request for Reconsideration or a Request for Hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. If you miss the deadline, you may be required to file a new application. A claim may be awarded at any level; generally, it may take the average individual 12–18 months to get a final decision on their claim at the hearing level.

Do I need a lawyer?

There is no requirement that you hire an attorney. However, the process of getting awarded benefits can be difficult and confusing. At Jenkins Block & Associates, our attorneys have the knowledge and resources available to assist you in getting the benefits you deserve.

When can an attorney begin helping me with my claim?

Once you have filed an application for benefits, we can begin helping you with your claim. You do not have to wait for a denial from the Social Security Administration to get help from Jenkins Block & Associates.

Is there a fee for handling my claim?

There is no fee unless we win your case.

How long do I have to wait to apply for benefits after I become unable to work?

You may file an application immediately if you have a condition that prevents you from working and is expected to last at least 12 months. You DO NOT have to wait until you have been out of work for 12 months to apply for benefits. You may apply as soon as you stop working. If you have any questions, contact our office for assistance.

I am unable to go back to my last job, but there are other jobs I may be able to do. Does Social Security give partial disability benefits?

No. An individual must be unable to perform any substantial gainful activity in order to qualify for benefits.

What is substantial gainful activity?

We would be happy to review your work history and abilities and how this may affect your eligibility for benefits.

My current job is paying me long-term disability benefits because of my medical condition. Should I still apply for my Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits?

Many people who are getting long-term disability benefits apply for SSD benefits at the same time. If you are getting long-term disability benefits, call Jenkins Block & Associates to talk about your options.

What if I lose my case at the hearing level?

You will still have the option of filing an appeal at the Appeals Council and Federal Court. At Jenkins Block & Associates, we handle claims at both levels.

Can I receive back pay from Social Security?

Yes. If you are found eligible for benefits, the Social Security Administration will determine when your benefits should have started. Supplemental Security Income can be paid as early as the date of the first application and DIB may be paid back as far as one year before the date of the application.

Can my child receive benefits under my social security number?

There are no additional benefits available for minor children under the social security number of a parent or guardian. However, if you have a child with a disability, you should contact JBA to see if they can get their own benefits from the Social Security Administration.

Will other benefits I receive affect my SSI benefits?

Contact JBA for an individual consultation. Let our 30 years of experience work for you.

If this is your first time filing, or you have been denied, or if you would like to find out more about Social Security Disability benefits, our experienced lawyers have the answers to all of your questions. Call us at 1-800-243-2439 and Get JBA First!