Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Google+ YouTube RSS

Maryland Workers’ Compensation

Maryland Workers' Compensation LawyerOur firm has over 30 years of experience assisting clients in their workers’ compensation claims in Maryland. We represent individuals injured on the job before the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission and the appellate courts. Understanding the relationship between Social Security benefits and workers’ compensation benefits is critical in providing the best representation to our clients with both types of claims pending. Jenkins, Block & Associates’ experience in these fields guarantees you excellent representation in both cases for the best overall result. Knowing your rights and the benefits that are due to you when you are injured at work is very important. If you have been injured while working, call Jenkins Block & Associates now. Failure to file and handle your workers’ compensation claim could ruin your chances of receiving compensation and medical treatment.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ Compensation is a system in Maryland law to provide employees who have been injured on the job with a way to obtain benefits including, but not limited to, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and payment for lost wages. The system provides that an employee who is injured while working, no matter who is at fault, may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. As a result of the making of the workers’ compensation system, an employee who is injured while working is not generally able to sue his/her employer.

What benefits are available to the injured employee?

    There are three types of benefits:

  • Payment for medical expenses.
  • Compensation for loss of earnings whether total or partial, temporary or permanent.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation where the injured employee is unable to return to his or her original work.

What kinds of injuries or disabilities are covered by workers’ compensation?

If you were injured on the job, because of an accident or trauma, even if you caused it yourself, you may be entitled to benefits. Broken bones, herniated discs, torn ligaments, muscle strains, nerve injuries, occupational diseases resulting from repetitive motion or overuse such as carpal tunnel, tendonitis and others may be covered.

Who pays for these benefits?

All employers in Maryland are required to have workers compensation insurance or they may be self insured. The employers’ workers’ compensation insurance carrier will pay for all benefits.

What are the time limits for filing a Workers’ compensation claim?

Under Maryland’s workers’ compensation law, if a claimant has an accidental injury, the employee must file a claim for compensation with the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission within 2 years of the date of the accidental or they may be forever unable to collect on their claim. However, a claim should be filed as soon as possible after the accident has happened to avoid a delay in receiving the benefits you deserve. In cases involving work related disease, a claim must be filed within 1 year of the discovery of the disease or they may be forever unable to collect on their claim.

Do I need an attorney to handle my workers’ compensation claim for me?

No. There is no requirement that an injured worker hire an attorney to either file or pursue a workers’ compensation claim. However, the system of filing for and obtaining the full benefits you deserve can be difficult. Often employees who do not hire an attorney fail to obtain all the benefits to which they are entitled. Even if yours is a simple case of a minor injury, you should get advice from an injury lawyer interested in protecting your rights. Your employer and insurance company have skilled representatives protecting their rights. You should have someone protecting yours.

How is your firm paid for handling workers’ compensation cases?

We do not collect a fee unless you receive benefits for your claim. The amount of the fee is strictly regulated by law and must be approved by the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission.

I have reported the accident to my employer, isn’t that enough?

Simply reporting the accident to your employer is not enough. You must file a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission in order for your claim to be guided and provided for under the Maryland Workers’ Compensation laws.

I have been injured while working, what should I do now?

  • Notify your employer right away.
  • Seek medical treatment and follow your doctor’s recommendations.
  • Contact Jenkins, Block & Associates for assistance in filing your claim.
  • Keep track of your expenses and lost time from work.
  • Do not speak with the insurance company.




Medicare Set-Aside informational materials – January/February 2010

SUBPOENA & Medical Release 

Miscellaneous, Other & Statutory Filing